Author Topic: A Storm Is Brewing............updated 25-11  (Read 6516 times)

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
A Storm Is Brewing............updated 25-11
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 07:54:48 am »
wow... theyre quite powerful then, i knew they were quick but i didnt realise the numbers were that high.

EDGE

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 09:36:02 am »
Quoting: EDGE

wow... theyre quite powerful then, i knew they were quick but i didnt realise the numbers were that high.

EDGE

Yeah i knew the BHP was similar to the cobra, didn't realise the torque so high tho - but ti all good

Jo

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2006, 04:43:12 pm »
Looks really cool

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2006, 09:21:40 pm »
cheers jo, have to take you out in it when its done hehehe

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dynoflow.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2006, 01:28:57 am »
COPY CAT

Nice one Ian...There a Bizar thing & real FAST.

loads of info on www.syty.net

Im fitting a rear sway bar and lowering ours 2" (bits arrive tomorrow)

Fitted a blow off valve and a stainless Boost pipe last weekend

Still got to fit a K&N and Im away

Lets see some pics of the engine bay then

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2006, 01:51:04 am »
The Irridium Plugs are going on mine ASAP. There used by most of the Rice tuners

http://www.amvo.org/amvoforum/viewtopic.php?t=4195&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

We have our own Toipic on the AVO for all things Typhoon's

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2006, 07:37:25 am »
Quoting: Finlay

COPY CAT

Nice one Ian...There a Bizar thing & real FAST.

loads of info on www.syty.net

Im fitting a rear sway bar and lowering ours 2" (bits arrive tomorrow)

Fitted a blow off valve and a stainless Boost pipe last weekend

Still got to fit a K&N and Im away

Lets see some pics of the engine bay then

lol, im not a copy cat - you are really, cos i said to Dave i were intersted in them when he first got em in early part of this year

yeah real fast stock and with teh mods this got UBer fast hehe

Cheers fer the link - added to the growing list i got

hmm what benefit do they give ya then mate????

Will get some decent pics when its still light outside (prob the weekend)

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2006, 07:39:06 am »
The Irridium Plugs are going on mine ASAP. There used by most of the Rice tuners

http://www.amvo.org/amvoforum/viewtopic.php?t=4195&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

We have our own Toipic on the AVO for all things Typhoon's

ok where you get & how much for them?

Yeah aint it nice our own cosy lil room hehehe

also how much you doing the phoon exhaust systems for then (same as your setup!) ???

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2006, 07:42:56 am »
Quoting: ianjpage
hmm what benefit do they give ya then mate????

Ian you need to be running a colder plug something with a heat index of >8 get the part number of your current plug then call NGK UK and tell them what boost etc and they will give you the correct heat rating.

Be careful with rice tunners most dont have a clue TDI in london wrecked my boss's evo 6 engine when they fitted the wrong plugs and the over boost caused them to fail which in turn destroyed the piston and top end

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2006, 09:57:33 am »
Benefits....

Suspension...... Should not sit down on its back wheels under hard throttle. Better on the bends, & Looks better.  Everything off the shelf at Summit (Inc the new fuel tank I just got). I'll put the part numbers up later. Front suspension....Two bolts to turn to lower the ride

BOV...... Well not much really as on the auto you dont stall the turbo on gear changes....But it make s the right sound (Mine cost £20 Delivered off ebay...lol)

Turbo boost tube (from Turbo to intercooler)........ Well the stock one looks like a Hoover hoze and inflates like a puffer fish

K&N.... Well it wont give you more boost. What it will do is make the job easyier for the Turbo, This means less heat in the charge. + You hera the Turbo whine (as Ive been told)

(Correct) Irridiium Plugs....... 50% Less voltage to make the same spark, Long life under harsh conditions, no Gapping, More intence spark..... Its why they sit above the Platinum in the NGK range

Exhaust......  1 into 2 (abit like a vette system)    3" Bore front to back with Mandral bends and a low restriction but not straight through Stainless silencer's x 2 (not far off though)with 304 Stainless wodding . Should give a nice deep sound.

(Arriving TODAY!!!) Electric Exhaust Cutout Dynoflow ERV 3"..... Fitted just after the Down pipe.... Reduces back pressure to near Zero.... Just what the Turbo wants on the drag strip........ Also got to be good fun at the Shows and at Asda's.

Cost of a System...... Well I'll build one first and let you know. Id sooner supply you with the components and Pictures to work from for you to weld one up yourself (My welding is good enough for me but Im getting better)

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2006, 10:03:48 am »
(Correct) Irridiium Plugs....... 50% Less voltage to make the same spark, Long life under harsh conditions, no Gapping, More intence spark..... Its why they sit above the Platinum in the NGK range

Thats all great for fuel economy but high performance engines require a colder plug mate as the electrodes get heated more than in standard aplication.

The corrct heta rating will make a hell of a difference in power more than the electrode material

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2006, 10:07:00 am »
Yep Im trying to be an Ian Clone...

Mustang and Typhoon on the Drive..lol

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2006, 10:08:58 am »
(Arriving TODAY!!!) Electric Exhaust Cutout Dynoflow ERV 3"..... Fitted just after the Down pipe.... Reduces back pressure to near Zero.... Just what the Turbo wants on the drag strip........ Also got to be good fun at the Shows and at Asda's.

Also you will need some length on the system mate as it will help increase the boost pressure, by chopping the system to close your probably gonna be loosing power.

Trust me on this i have always owned turbo cars and been involved in some pretty serious turbo engines like a 4cylinder 1500cc turbo engine running at 4.5bar making 1200hp with 8 injectors and 16 spark plugs. Dont believe everything you read on ricer forums.

Example mitsubishi colt turbo with stock system V stainless free flow picked up 5lb of boost on a full length system

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2006, 10:28:34 am »
Affriad I will have to totaly dissagree with you on that one Mr Cheif

Ive learnt nothing from Ricer Forums,, might I Add...lol

Please explain how back pressure makes a Turbo make more boost?

The Correct Rated Plug is a Correct rated Plug, ...Errr So it would be correct... lol

There is a full range of Irridium plugs Avialable

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2006, 10:34:40 am »
The Correct Rated Plug is a Correct rated Plug, ...Errr So it would be correct... lol

There is a full range of Irridium plugs Avialable

no mate the correct rated plug is not always the best plug its the one that will give the best operation under standard conditions. When you modify an engine there is increased heat build up and the plug starts to break down. By going to a colder plug this no longer happens. But hey its your motor so do what you like but having worked on high HP motors both turbo and N/A i can tell you that the correct heat rating is more important than anything else.

Please explain how back pressure makes a Turbo make more boost?

Its not the bck pressure as i said i high flow system, its the scavenge caused by the length of pipe. I ran my 9000 turbo without a system just to see what it would be like and lost 15mph of of the top speed. and this was a 275hp motor.

If you could gain more power by having little to no exhaust do you not think that the WRC teams would be doing the same, hell they already run the CATs in the rear silencer so why not run with no system

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2006, 10:55:17 am »
Quoting: 55starchief
no mate the correct rated plug is not always the best plug its the one that will give the best operation under standard conditions. When you modify an engine there is increased heat build up and the plug starts to break down. By going to a colder plug this no longer happens. But hey its your motor so do what you like but having worked on high HP motors both turbo and N/A i can tell you that the correct heat rating is more important than anything else.

This is exactly what Im saying. ..lol...... The Correct plug for a Motors tune is the correct plug.... Go for the correct heat setting and you have the correct plug The Irridium plugs have benefits over the Platinum plugs......life span being one of them. So buy the correct plug for your engine and you have the correct plug....as its correct!!!

Its not the bck pressure as i said i high flow system, its the scavenge caused by the length of pipe. I ran my 9000 turbo without a system just to see what it would be like and lost 15mph of of the top speed. and this was a 275hp motor.

If you could gain more power by having little to no exhaust do you not think that the WRC teams would be doing the same, hell they already run the CATs in the rear silencer so why not run with no system

The rules and Regs of WRC mean an Exhaust system has to be pressent.... as its ment to be a version of a road car...

Look at the old F1 car Turbo systems, and Turbo Drag Car system's, Ya dont see 8ft of pipe hanging out the back of them

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2006, 10:58:53 am »
WRX cars are also restricted (if the rules havnt changed) in the last few years

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2006, 11:02:23 am »
This is exactly what Im saying. ..lol...... The Correct plug for a Motors tune is the correct plug.... Go for the correct heat setting and you have the correct plug The Irridium plugs have benefits over the Platinum plugs......life span being one of them. So buy the correct plug for your engine and you have the correct plug....as its correct!!!

Indeed but the iridiums are only 1 heat setting, all race plugs are standard electrode mate as no one is bothered by the fact they will last 50k

The rules and Regs of WRC mean an Exhaust system has to be pressent.... as its ment to be a version of a road car...

Look at the old F1 car Turbo systems, and Turbo Drag Car system's, Ya dont see 8ft of pipe hanging out the back of them

Trust me mate if there was a power increase to be had they would find a way around the rules, my mate builds these systems for a living just ask Ian as he has met the guy. Also i know all about the old turbo F1 cars as i used to crew for a mate that raced euroboss in a 1984 lola beatrice with a hart turbo motor thats the one i listed above. The system on that was much longer than the systems on the non turbo cars of the later years.

Anyways as said its your car lets see what you have at the track im gonna be there with the purple people eater next year and that thing is looking forward to eating a few turbo storms

Pod

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2006, 11:26:07 am »
Well, there's one very easy solution to the exhaust issue.

Finlay, at the track do some runs with the exhaust cutout closed, and some runs with it open (ideally on the same day to cover weather and track condition). Then see if there is any difference.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2006, 11:29:04 am »
Quoting: Pod
Finlay, at the track do some runs with the exhaust cutout closed, and some runs with it open (ideally on the same day to cover weather and track condition). Then see if there is any difference.

Yeah although the full system would be road use rather than tuned for the turbo. The perfect ssytem would increase in diameter over its entire length accelerating the gases and spooling the turbo up

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2006, 11:39:49 am »
increase in diameter over its entire length accelerating the gases

doesn't gas move slower in a larger tube exhaust?
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2006, 11:41:09 am »
Quoting: FUBAR
doesn't gas move slower in a larger tube exhaust?

yup thats how it works mate, as the pipe gets wider the gases are drawn out due to lower speed, but increasing the speed at the smaller part of the pipe

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2006, 11:42:46 am »
aah ok, thats not how it reads above.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2006, 11:43:46 am »
symantics mate

Pod

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2006, 11:45:50 am »