Author Topic: A Storm Is Brewing............updated 25-11  (Read 6514 times)

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
A Storm Is Brewing............updated 25-11
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2006, 11:48:33 am »

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dynoflow.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2006, 11:58:09 am »
I'll go to motor save now and get a Funnel..lol

I Agree with you on that Mr Cheif... But it only needs to be around 1 to 2 ' long at about 15 Deg (If my old 2 stroke days have any relavance)

We have after Valve adapters to allow for fitment of such a pipe

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2006, 12:01:54 pm »
Quoting: Finlay
I Agree with you on that Mr Cheif... But it only needs to be around 1 to 2 ' long at about 15 Deg (If my old 2 stroke days have any relavance)

yeah but you have a lot more cylinders now mate, from memory its like the first 4ft thats mega important on a turbo and about the first 3ft on a N/A system

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2006, 12:05:28 pm »
Just  unpacked the Cutouts ....They do look good and are well made

IAN sorry to go off topic....

Anyway    Part numbers for the Suspension kit I ordered

BEL-5524 x 1 Sway Bar
BEL-5954 x 2 Leaf Springs
BEL-7503 x 2 Drop Shocks
GTR-4060955 (Serp Belt)
KNN-HP-2001 (Oil Filter)
RNB-576-329 (Fuel Tank)
RNB-578-008 (Fuel Tank Straps)

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2006, 12:14:02 pm »
Quoting: 55starchief

Ian you need to be running a colder plug something with a heat index of >8 get the part number of your current plug then call NGK UK and tell them what boost etc and they will give you the correct heat rating.

Be careful with rice tunners most dont have a clue TDI in london wrecked my boss's evo 6 engine when they fitted the wrong plugs and the over boost caused them to fail which in turn destroyed the piston and top end

fair enough - will have to try and see how easy the plugs are to get out first lol!!

BOV...... Well not much really as on the auto you dont stall the turbo on gear changes....But it make s the right sound (Mine cost £20 Delivered off ebay...lol)

Hmm might think about one of them if it makes it all noisy hehe

Cost of a System...... Well I'll build one first and let you know. Id sooner supply you with the components and Pictures to work from for you to weld one up yourself (My welding is good enough for me but Im getting better)

OK sounds fair mate - lemme know

Yep Im trying to be an Ian Clone...

Mustang and Typhoon on the Drive..lol

Hmm you are rather aint ya ...im scared now!!!!

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2006, 12:16:41 pm »

Anyway Part numbers for the Suspension kit I ordered

BEL-5524 x 1 Sway Bar
BEL-5954 x 2 Leaf Springs
BEL-7503 x 2 Drop Shocks
GTR-4060955 (Serp Belt)
KNN-HP-2001 (Oil Filter)
RNB-576-329 (Fuel Tank)
RNB-578-008 (Fuel Tank Straps)

ok cheers fer that, can you let me know what it all cost ya (if your allowed lol)

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2006, 12:49:38 pm »
Had it sent air freight along with a load of other stuff

But it wasnt to much the total VAT and Duty + UK side delivery was less than £200

Not sure what Summit skinned me for Del

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2006, 12:56:00 pm »
Hmm not bad at all then

Shifty

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2006, 01:03:54 pm »
My apologies Ian for going of topic again, not that any of the above was anything to do with me in the first place.

To clarify all turbos are designed to work over a specific RPM range, if this is exceeded the efficiency of the turbo drops and thus the charge temperature increases (along with reduced life expectancy etc....), this is not to say there isn't a little bit of room for play, but removing virtually all the exhaust system (thus reducing the back pressure and increasing the turbos working RPM) would most certainly push the turbo outside of its operating parameters and closer to its surge limits. Overall this wouldn't be a good idea.

You can reduce the back pressure on the turbo by a certain amount and increase the boost generated by that turbo, only within certain limitations though.

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2006, 01:08:37 pm »
Quoting: Shifty
My apologies Ian for going of topic again

Dont worry mate - your post is very informative and makes interesting reading

Shifty

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2006, 01:18:06 pm »
You do realise you gone have to get her in mint condish for taking me out for a spin in at the next Fancot meet.

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2006, 01:27:29 pm »

You do realise you gone have to get her in mint condish for taking me out for a spin in at the next Fancot meet.

hehe i wouldn't say Mint condition mate, i'd say Runnig right and road legal hehehe

And dont think it be for a wile yet mate, need to sort the enginge out and then save up for registration, tax, mot etc etc

Shifty

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2006, 01:36:41 pm »
Bummer, better make it quick i dont like to be kept waiting .

best be puttin your name down for some OT then son.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2006, 01:58:13 pm »
BOV...... Well not much really as on the auto you dont stall the turbo on gear changes....But it make s the right sound (Mine cost £20 Delivered off ebay...lol)

Fin be carefull with a dump to atmosphere as i tried this on the saab and being an auto the boost pressure builds and the temps rise real quick. The dump to atmosphere are designed for manual cars autos normaly run a recirculating type. Chances are on a long journey the boost would build and blow out a pipe some place

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2006, 02:24:44 pm »

Bummer, better make it quick i dont like to be kept waiting .

best be puttin your name down for some OT then son.

LOL ok sir whatever you say

Hmm OT............wassat when its at home

Shifty

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2006, 02:46:59 pm »
Quoting: ianjpage
Hmm OT............wassat when its at home

OT (over time) is when you stay late at work to read a magazine (or ho) then tell your boss in the morning you got loads of work done and that he will need to sign your OT form for 3 extra hours of "work".

Nice

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2006, 03:11:55 pm »
The BOV Works Great. No probelms at all. Most Autos dont have them at all. As there's no real need.

Shifty, Yep any engine tuning will reduce engine life. its always a trade off.

The lack of / Reduced back pressure will aid spool up times and reduce that all important 1/4 mile time. I hope..... We will see.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2006, 03:15:16 pm »
The BOV Works Great. No probelms at all. Most Autos dont have them at all. As there's no real need.

Don't say i didnt warn you, all i know is it will put the motor under more load.

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2006, 03:30:24 pm »

OT (over time) is when you stay late at work to read a magazine (or ho) then tell your boss in the morning you got loads of work done and that he will need to sign your OT form for 3 extra hours of "work".

Nice

Ahhh right i've heard about that fabled thing called Overtime......rarely have i had benefits of it tho

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2006, 04:31:11 pm »
Thanks for the warning.......But its not a problem...Ya Saab must of had boost creep to over boost.... Nothing to do with the BOV...

How does warm compressed air exiting the boost pipe before the Intercooler avia the blow off valve and being recirculated into the the intake before the turbo decrease the load on the engine?

It would make the turbo work slightly harder as the air in the intake would be less dense this would create more heat and reduce the efficiancy of the intercooler

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2006, 04:34:46 pm »
Ian.... The Suspension kit does not come with new U bolts Ya will need them if you do that job... so Im on hold till I find some

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2006, 04:47:09 pm »

Thanks for the warning.......But its not a problem...Ya Saab must of had boost creep to over boost.... Nothing to do with the BOV...

How does warm compressed air exiting the boost pipe before the Intercooler avia the blow off valve and being recirculated into the the intake before the turbo decrease the load on the engine?

BOV are operated by engine vacuum, on a manual car this happens when the throttle is lifted for the gear change, that split second the intake is no longer under boost so but vacume. With an auto box there is no lift of for the gear change so the boost pressure builds. The only way to get the vacuum is to throtle and let off something not normally done in an automatic.

With the boost not being allowed to release it builds and you can hear a noticable change in engine tone as the cylinders are now loaded.

The way SAAB turbo cars is one of the best ways and followed by many manufacturers. SAAB were the first to launch a production car with a turbo and have been doing it for many years so the system works well. So boost creep wasnt the fault

Pod

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2006, 04:54:23 pm »
Quoting: 55starchief
Don't say i didnt warn you

I'd give up now. We all know what happened with the supercharger.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2006, 05:05:07 pm »
Quoting: Pod

I'd give up now. We all know what happened with the supercharger.

Oh yeah bolt it on worry about it later when it's broken

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2006, 05:09:45 pm »
Shut it POD...lol....... And it was worth a try, Ya lucky I let you have the crown..lol

All a bov does is to stop the turbo for stalling on a gear change in a Manual car....Or if you lift off the throttle.

The BOV is operated by Zacuum & + Pressure (well mine is) The Vacuum caused by the air flow being blocked by the closed throttle body helps pull the piston on the bov out. The Pressure helps keep it closed. Of cause mines only a £20 El Cheapo thing and by rights shouldnt work at all..lol

On an Auto the Boost is constant while accelerating through the gears the BOV Does nothing in this time. It only works if you jump off the throttle.... It make's COCK all differance where the air goes.... and if on the throttle the BOV might as well not be there as it does nothing.

So did ya get over boosting (Boost Creep) before you fitted a BOV because the overboosting can not be connected to the BOV at all

Im sure Saab makes a wonder full Turbo system.... Just sound like your was struggling..