Author Topic: Raced a Lotus Elise  (Read 3429 times)

300bhp per ton

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« on: November 08, 2006, 10:31:20 am »
On my way home last night a nice silver MK1 Elise pulled out infront of me, sadly they where driving like a total twat, far too much traffic on a single lane road. Still their aftermarket exhaust sounded pretty decent.

Anyhow followed them for 5 miles or so until the road turns into dual carriage way.

Raced them 3 or 4 times from various speeds. Man I was really surprised, it wasn't even a race I just walked them. First one was from like 50/60mph I kept the pedal down until I saw 130'ish just to prove the point. I think they where best part of an 1/8th of a mile back

I really thought it would have been closer. And yeah they certainly where trying as on some of the runs they started infront of me, or I let them have the hit.

DISCLAIMER: This story is of course totally imaginary and bears no relation to reality.

Roadkill

Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 10:35:04 am »
Quoting: 300bhp per ton
DISCLAIMER: This story is of course totally imaginary and bears no relation to reality

<wink>

I remember seeing a Lotus race a 'Vette on the track . . . through the bends the Lotus was all-over the vette, but come the straight and the vette left them for dead . . .

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 10:35:31 am »
DISCLAIMER: This story is of course totally imaginary and bears no relation to reality.

lol

Nicely done though!

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 10:35:58 am »
Well thats not exactly a challenge my SAAB 9000 was quicker than an elise, had many a tussle on the A43 with them but coming into roundabouts is a different story, anyone can drive fast in a straight line but through bends and roundabouts is a different matter. The elise would get me on breaking everytime then again with a 1000kg less than the saab it should have stopped better.

Having driven and very nearly bought an elise they handle like a gokart, i have never driven a car with steering as direct as that which makes for a fun drive

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 11:18:36 am »
I've driven a race prepped Elise and yes it's like a gocart but it really isn't quick at all in a straight line.
The 0-60 is quick due to the light weight but from a roll they're not fast.
In fact as speeds rise they get worse.

I remembered staying with an original Elise up to over 100mph in my old Focus and at 120+ I started to walk away from him as they hit a wall at about 125 iirc.

However, as people *think* they're quick it's fun to correct them...

As for buying one, yuch!  I thought they were horrible.  Stripped out, noisy, 4 pot, *tiny*, no thanks.  Plus maintenance is an issue, I heard teh body has to be removed to change the battery on the original ones at least.  And being a (L)ots (O)f (T)rouble (U)sually (S)erious vehicle maintenance will be high on the list...

300bhp per ton

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 11:21:34 am »
Quoting: 55starchief
Having driven and very nearly bought an elise they handle like a gokart, i have never driven a car with steering as direct as that which makes for a fun drive

Yeah I keep meaning to go and have a test drive up at the MK dealer. But they only let the cars out for demo when it's dry out.

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 11:22:39 am »
Quoting: 55starchief
anyone can drive fast in a straight line

Except Elise owners...

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 11:25:43 am »
Quoting: HardRockCamaro

Except Elise owners...

all depends the 111's is quick but the standard not so also they did some pretty quick LTD ED versions

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 12:56:53 pm »

Let's hope any camera pictures are imaginary as well

I'm currently researching locations for some 1/4 mile testing, trouble is all the suitable locations around Luton are all known mobile Camera traps

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 01:02:32 pm »
Quoting: F Body
I'm currently researching locations for some 1/4 mile testing, trouble is all the suitable locations around Luton are all known mobile Camera traps

plenty of places up here mate, long staright roads, some even have new blacktop and no traffic

Roadkill

Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 01:12:45 pm »

Speak to Titsy . . I believe he knows a few.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 01:13:48 pm »
Quoting: Roadkill

those would be the same roads i use then

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 07:52:26 pm »
basic mk1 elise only has 110bhp and is rather weedy... ok they weigh nothing, but they dont have much to punt them down the road either.. plus they are hot smelly and uncomfortable.... cramped....unreliable.......leak in the rain....noisy.......

the list is endless really

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 08:08:50 pm »
Quoting: Roadkill

Here are my faves...

[img]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/slice_of_toast/testroad2.jpg\" border=\"0\"  alt=\"\" width=150> [img]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/slice_of_toast/testroad3.jpg\" border=\"0\"  alt=\"\" width=150> [img]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/slice_of_toast/testroad4.jpg\" border=\"0\"  alt=\"\" width=150>As for camera locations, if you have autoroute then I can provide a file with all the fixed and mobile locations in the UK...[img]http://www.mkb.cc/forum/smileys/wink.gif" alt="" border="0" onload="NcodeImageResizer.createOn(this);" class="bbc_img" />

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 08:59:52 pm »
Quoting: Titsy
As for camera locations, if you have autoroute then I can provide a file with all the fixed and mobile locations in the UK...

[img]http://www.mkb.cc/forum/smileys/shame.gif" alt="" border="0" onload="NcodeImageResizer.createOn(this);" class="bbc_img" />

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 09:08:41 pm »
Thats a damn scary picture

300bhp per ton

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 12:45:34 pm »

I know some fairly decent roads if you want to run?

From a low speed roll will be eaiser, but if it's quiet then from a dig would be possible.

The Leighton Buzzard by-pass is very good. From Totternhoe to Dunstable. No turnings, no bridges, no houses no nothing just open black top and wide enough to go side by side.

A roll from like 20mph to xxxmph would be the easiest sort of race.

Any takers??????

BTW - what final drive ratio have you got in your Fbody? 2.73 or 3.23?

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 12:54:31 pm »
Any takers??????

Nah what would i want with a 4th gen camaro

Roadkill

Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 12:55:54 pm »
My Z28's out of the game til next year . . . and a rebuilt Gearbox.

The Leighton Buzzard by-pass is very good

Yup, done a speed test earlier in the year, there . . .

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2006, 01:06:25 pm »
The Leighton Buzzard by-pass is very good. From Totternhoe to Dunstable. No turnings, no bridges, no houses no nothing just open black top and wide enough to go side by side.

Would this be the one?

[img]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/slice_of_toast/testroad5.jpg\" border=\"0\"  alt=\"\" width=150>

Roadkill

Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2006, 01:51:56 pm »
Would this be the one?

Yep, very wide with a slight incline (away from the A5)

Policed by speed cameras (50mph) as you appproach Leighton Buzzard . . . But plenty of warning.

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 02:55:26 pm »
As for camera locations, if you have autoroute then I can provide a file with all the fixed and mobile locations in the UK...

Yes please sir!

I know some fairly decent roads if you want to run?

From a low speed roll will be eaiser, but if it's quiet then from a dig would be possible.

A roll from like 20mph to xxxmph would be the easiest sort of race.

Any takers??????

BTW - what final drive ratio have you got in your Fbody? 2.73 or 3.23?

Hmm muss get the cobra back on the road!!!

300bhp per ton

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2006, 03:13:31 pm »
Would this be the one?

Pretty much.

The X road just to the left of the line is the main Leighton Buzzard round-a-bout. Heading right from there all the way to the A5 is pretty good. There are two turings off, Bilington then Totternhoe. Probably the best place to run is from Totternhoe all the way up to the A5 round-a bout (right of the picture).

There's more than enough room there to bang the 158mph limiter in a LS1 z/28 - so I've heard anyhow

The section where you've dranw the line would work well too. It looks like there's more than enough room to top 156mph in a V12 Jagaur XJS down that section, again so I've heard

300bhp per ton

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 03:14:48 pm »
Quoting: ianjpage
Hmm muss get the cobra back on the road!!!

You got any mods on it?

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Raced a Lotus Elise
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2006, 03:15:34 pm »
Tingewick bypass is still the best localy for me, 155 and into 6th who said that