Author Topic: "God's Gonna Cut You Down . . . . "  (Read 606 times)

Roadkill

"God's Gonna Cut You Down . . . . "
« on: November 24, 2006, 11:23:45 am »
November 15th 2006.

As a music icon, few could touch the black cotton hem of Johnny Cash. So it is not surprising that it required 36 of the coolest figures in popular culture to pay tribute in a video which has become the talk of YouTube.

The tribute to Cash, which accompanies one of his last recordings before his death in 2003, was conceived by Tony Kaye, the British film director, and Justin Timberlake.

Artists dropped everything when the call to participate from Kaye came through. They were told simply to wear black and interpret the song in whatever way they felt channelled the outlaw spirit of Cash. Each star would be limited to a five-second appearance.

The three-minute video, placed on the YouTube website yesterday, has already attracted 65,000 plays, with fans seeking to identify the icons making “blink and you’ll miss it” appearances.

THE STARS WHO TURNED OUT FOR CASH

Dennis Hopper; Justin Timberlake; Corinne Bailey Rae; Amy Lee; Chris Martin; Brian Wilson; Shelby Lynne; Patti Smith; Kanye West; Johnny Depp, Kris Kristofferson; Jay-Z; Iggy Pop; Sir Peter Blake; Sheryl Crow; Keith Richards; Sharon Stone; Terrence Howard; Kate Moss; Bono, Flea, Q-Tip, Adam Levine, Chris Rock, Woody Harrelson, Tommy Lee, Dixie Chicks, Mick Jones, Anthony Kiedis, Travis Barker, Lisa Marie Presley, Kid Rock; Billy Gibbons, Brandon Flowers, Graham Nash, Rick Rubin and Owen Wilson.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,14932-2454262,00.html

Roadkill

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 11:50:34 am »
Oh, and "Amy Lee" =

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 12:34:10 pm »
A few weeks ago the Sunday Times gave away a Johnny Cash greatest hits CD, I gave it go but all the tracks have the same drone
I even tried to give it away at the last Fancott Meet but nobody wanted it, may be he was different live, but I'd rather strangle next doors cat.

Roadkill

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 12:46:55 pm »
Quoting: F Body
may be he was different live

From what I know kinda yes and kinda no.

Johnny Cash is so well respected as he was probably the first Artist to look at the bigger picture.
He wrote songs about Racism, hate and evil long before the likes of Bono and Bruce Springsteen ever did.
He sang about controversial matters at a time when you really could get murdered for doing so.
He supported those who needed it and was a champion to causes which otherwise would've got unnoticed.

And he was normal.

Suffering all life had to throw at him, wandering off course but still returning  to his true cause.

I would've given my left arm to have been able to see him perform live . . epecially in his prison appearances in the early 60's.

Many who make snappy decisions and quick (often damning) verdicts often do so in complete ignorance.

Johnny Cash changed the face of popular music today - his reference is in many modern artists work.
I suppose that tells you something . . .