Author Topic: Classics on the Common 2007  (Read 758 times)

300bhp per ton

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
Classics on the Common 2007
« on: February 21, 2007, 01:41:49 pm »
Here's a copy of an email circulated for the Classics on the Common car show:

Classics on the Common

2006 Report & 2007 Update

Hello all,

Please take a moment to read this email which includes the report on 2006 and details of 2007’s event. It also includes a couple of other local events which may be of interest to you. Please note I am in the process of moving house my current address is on the booking form I will send an updated form to all those who haven’t booked by the time I move.

After the poor weather of 2005 we returned to our more glorious sunshine. The Park & Ride scheme for spectators proved popular and I was very grateful to John Tarbox from Pan Autos who stepped in to sponsor the scheme and covered all its costs.

We received lots of positive feedback on the night and post event. We had very few moans on the night, always a great relief!

In 2005 we were able to donate just over £3,000 to local charities/good causes. In 2006 we blew that record out of the water and almost doubled it, donating £5,800 as follows;

Grove House Hospice              £2,000

Roundwood Park School                      £1,700

The Lea School                                    £500

RNLI                                                   £750

Police Cadets                                       £200

Pasque Hospice                                    £200

Red Cross Harpenden                          £150

Herts Police Widows & Orphans          £300

As always very many thanks to all of those who help, it wouldn’t be possible to organise without the support of those who help set up, steward, offer advise & support and all of you who attend and enjoy.

Classics on the Common

Wednesday 25th July 2007

The date is now set for Wednesday 25th July and I am ready to start taking your entries, an entry form is included with this email. The entry fee remains the same £3 it will hopefully be the best £3 you spend all year! This years main beneficiaries will be Sir John Lawes School and Harpenden Phoenix Holidays (the Jumbulance which provides holidays for the disabled).

The website has not yet been updated it will be shortly, once I move.

This year we will again be asking the Town Council for permission to use the Hayfield for spectator parking, if you are a Harpenden resident and happen to be in contact with your Town Councillor please let them know your views. If you require any more information on the issue please feel free to contact me.

A number of entrants over the years have asked why the event is on a Wednesday evening and why we don’t move it to a Sunday. It’s always been on a Wednesday because it originally started as an evening picnic, as it grew I think a part of its charm is that it’s different and its timing. I’m willing to consider moving it to a Sunday, it would certainly make the traffic easier. Please let me know what you think.  

As in recent years we do not anticipate allowing any entry on the night without a pre-booked entry pass. To try to avoid any confusion all vehicles who want to come onto the Common including scooters and motorbikes should have an entry pass. So please don’t leave your entry too late and PLEASE DON’T FORGET TO INCLUDE A STAMPED ADDRESSED ENVELOPE with your entry form. At a peak I get and have to process 30-40 entries a day, and it makes it surprisingly more time consuming when I have to write out envelopes.

I’m pleased to announce that once again Harpenden Village Rotary Club will be assisting us with the event they very kindly get more and more involved each year to the point where we now couldn’t manage without them.

Peter Madden

Two other event you might like to consider;

CLASSICS AT HARPENDEN

HIGHLAND GATHERING

SUNDAY 8TH JULY 2007

As part of this year’s Highland Gathering, the Harpenden Lions Club is inviting owners of Classic Cars to become part of the day’s attractions.

The Harpenden Highland Gathering is one of the largest gatherings outside Scotland. It draws large crowds from Herts/Beds and Bucks and attracts dancers, pipe bands, solo pipers, games participants and visitors from all over the UK.  Now you have an opportunity to add value to this major charity fund raising event.

Starting at 10.30 a.m. and finishing around 5.30 p.m. there is a full programme of activities throughout the day.  Classic Cars would be parked in a special area inside Rothamsted Park. There is a £3 per car entrance fee to cover costs which include a special commemorative plate.  There will be free entrance to the event for you and any passengers (worth £6 per head).    Spaces are limited on a first come first served basis. To book your space complete the form and send it with your £3 fee (PO or cheque made payable to Harpenden Lions Club).

Please book me into this year’s Highland Gathering:

Name:              …………………………………………………………………………

Address:           ………………………………………………………………………….

……………………………………………….Postcode………………..

Tel:                   …………………. email………………………………………………

Car/Bike Details

Make               …………………………………………………………………………

Model              …………………………………………………………………………

Registration Number ………………………….  Year ……………….

Send the completed form with £3 fee to:

CLASSICS AT HG07, DEVE LTD, 41 BLACKHORSE LANE , REDBOURN, ST ALBANS , AL3 7ES

For more information email;  alison.minns@harpenden-lions.co.uk

Tibbles Tour

Sunday 17th June. Organised by the Carpenters Arms Classic Car Club. A Touring assembly for classic & sports cars. Starting from the Moat House Hotel at Markyate with a breakfast and briefing a scenic tour of around 120 miles finishing with a fish and chip supper at the Carpenters Arms in Southdown. If you’ve never done a Tour try this one!

For further details contact;  geoff@geoffandrews.wanadoo.co.uk

Classics on the Common
Harpenden's Award Winning Classic Car Meet

Wednesday 25th July 2006

Ticket Application Form

Please fill in this form and print with required details and a SAE & cheque for £3 payable to 'The Rover P5 Club' and post to:

Peter Madden, "Classics on the Common", 96 Park Rise, Harpenden, Herts AL5 3AN

About Your Car/Bike

Vehicle Make              

Model                

Registration              

Year                      

About You

Name            

Address 1    

Address 2    

Town/City    

Postcode      

e-mail address    

Your entry fee includes a souvenir rally plaque if received by 1st June 2007

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 01:45:52 pm »
Couldn't get a ticket last year becuase they said they had too many American Cars

It seems to be getting a bit elitist

Roadkill

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 01:48:38 pm »
Quoting: F Body
Couldn't get a ticket last year becuase they said they had too many American Cars

Really ?

That's sucky.

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 01:51:28 pm »
Quoting: Roadkill
Really ?

Sent the application in March and got a phone call a few weeks later

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 01:53:13 pm »
I still went on the night and had a good time ( beer monster ).
As usual there was a really good mix of vehicles
I'll be going this year on the bike to avoid the traffic.

Giblets

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 02:23:24 pm »
Thats funny Martyn as I had no problem getting a ticket last year and the organiser seemed to be more than happy to have my IROC there.

Anyway I've ordered my ticket already.

I suspect if you get in quick, you should be OK this time.

It's my favourite event of the year, and I hope to see my old Capri there again!

Might end up parking next to 300bhp per ton again if he brings the Maro.

300bhp per ton

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 02:41:20 pm »
yep my entry forms go off tonight, should be the z/28 and if road worthy my TR7. Unless I buy something else interesting before July that is......

Motorama

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 03:37:23 pm »
I sent mine off today.

Entered the last 2 years and both times couldnt make it

Giblets

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 07:36:04 pm »
Quoting: Motorama
Entered the last 2 years and both times couldnt make it

Well the year before last it was a mudbath and I bottled out, as my Mustang GT Convertible at the time had a leaky roof......

(sets table for F Body comment......)

Motorama

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 11:51:10 pm »
I do remember the weather 2 years ago, we sat at home watching thunderstorms and decided to give it a miss. Good job too by the sound of it.

300bhp per ton

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 12:34:34 pm »
It was actually pretty good and still alot of people turned up.

I will admit to being in need of a push to get off the common though but I was in my V8 TR7 and it had Michellin semi-slick racing tyres on