OUT WITH THE OLD !!! - (prep, plug, prime, POR15 then in with the new)

Started by Roadkill, March 03, 2008, 02:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

O.K, having escaped a major ebay purchase I'm back on course to start the front end of the Camaro.

At the moment there's basically this :

Now, to go in I've got :

Tubular K-Member + chassis supports,
Tubular A-Arms,
All-new Steering arms, links and rods,
Wonder Bar,
New rotors + Pads (calipers are very nearly new),
New Sway bar + links,
New springs,
New shocks,
New upper shock mounts,
New Brake / Fuel lines,

I think that's it.

Basically I need to pull out the old $hit first (duh) so I'm pencilling that in for the weekend after this one (volunteers gratefully received).

This will then give me a week or two to clean/scrub the engine bay and plug any holes then go to town with the POR15 before Easter (long) weekend.

Over Easter I hope to fit most of the new stuff - not only to get the Camaro rolling on permanent suspension but also to clear the mountain of car parts out of the garage !

I've been trying to think of any other bits I may immediately need - as I'm running out of time to buy them . . . . The bits that spring to mind are :

Recon/new steering box (mine is worn and will be the only original bit left)
Inner / Outer Wheel bearings and seals (my are newish but with new rotors makes sense)
New Engine mounts (not critcal at the moment but would be handy)

What else - baring in mind the engine is NOT going back, yet ?

philoldsmobile

FUBAR

Quoting: Roadkill
weekend after this one (volunteers gratefully received

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

55starchief

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
Might be worth looking for a high ratio box

That first one is the highest I've found - although I've not looked extensively . . . .

Can I borrow you spring compressors ?

55starchief

Can I borrow you spring compressors ?

Yup if you can spare me a couple of hours to fit the roller shutter door

Rocky

Shouldnt need spring compressors for the front, and the higher ratio steering box was used in the iroc and GTA where 16" wheels and heavy duty suspension were fitted, this is the one most go for when replacing them.

Roadkill

Quoting: Rocky
Shouldnt need spring compressors for the front

Okkies, Cheers.

What ratio is the IROC / GTA steering box, then ?

Gator

that wont need too much cleaning for por15 dean just remove sealer and loose rust then degrease

it looks very clean anyway

55starchief

Do you want me to weld up all those holes so you can smooth out the firewall?

Roadkill

Quoting: Gator
it looks very clean anyway

I did it a couple of year back.

Quoting: 55starchief
Do you want me to weld up all those holes so you can smooth out the firewall?

Yeah.

I need some steel . . . I can cut it to size at work on the guilotine.

55starchief

I need some steel . . . I can cut it to size at work on the guilotine.

Have plenty at the barn but wont be over there for a couple of days, although your only gonna need a little bit so philo might have some off cuts at work

Roadkill

No rush on the steel . . . That side of things ain't gonna happen this weekend - that'll be next weekend at the earliest.

Rocky

Watch some of the aftermarket (cheap) bearings they are known to blow apart on some third gens,

Roadkill

Quoting: Rocky
Watch some of the aftermarket (cheap) bearings they are known to blow apart on some third gens

O.K, cheers for the heads up.

I've brought stuff from that guy before (for the '58) and have always been happy with the quality - hence I went back.

My last set were brought through USLess Auto . . . . both sides + oil seals cost over £70, from memory . . . . Total cost here was £23.55 (including shipping !).

And I'll no doubt get them quicker.

I've fired off two emails regarding shipping to the Steering box guy . . . . auction ends in under 23 hours . . . . . . .

Roadkill

Roadkill

Now have a quote for shipping the steering box.

Now - whether to buy now of attempt to save $20 and bid . . . . . . .

55starchief

If you want to get the $30 refund i can dump the old unit on the next shipment to the USA and have it sent UPS ground

Roadkill

He needs the old one within 30 days . . .  unlikely using ground service . . . .

55starchief

He needs the old one within 30 days . . . unlikely using ground service . . . .

ground service would be 3 days inside the USA and the shipment goes air freight to the USA

Roadkill

Ahh.

Will depend when I order the new one and remove the old . . . . Worth having a go, though.