PROJECT - Front Brake Discs.

Started by F Body, March 04, 2008, 12:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

OK as some of you are aware a nearly new set of front brake discs have been kindly donated to what is fast becoming the south east's largest collection of 99 Camaro spares

The current discs on my Z28 were drill wire brushed and painted with gold high temperature caliper paint ( on the non braking surfaces ) about 4 years ago.
They still look pretty good but I want to do something better for the new disc's
I'm thinking of having them gold zinc plated, tried three places in Luton without any success, anyone got any recommendations ?

F Body

The current disc's look like this ( this shot is the rear not front )

Rob

Rob

Also these in St Albans....

http://www.lca.uk.com/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.lca.uk.com/index.htm

although from there site it looks more like Aluminium work.

Titsy

When I bought replacement discs for my Z28 I opted for zinc plated and it was a wise choice... obviously the contact area wears off, but it does keep the rest of the disc from rusting up detween the wheel and the hub...

F Body

Quoting: Rob
How about these.....

http://www.c-tec-anodisers.co.uk/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.c-tec-anodisers.co.uk/index.htm

...in Leighton Buzzard

They seem to do a good range of zinc plating, I'll give them a call tomorrow

55starchief

I think your gonna strike out mate for the following reason. They arnt new and thus would need cleaning and i mean cleaning in every vent. No one is gonna put dirty shit in their tanks and risk fecking the next job due to contamination. I know if it was my company i would say sorry but no

F Body

Quoting: 55starchief
No one is gonna put dirty shit in their tanks

Most plating companies "used" to have a stripping tank exactly for that reason

Either that or shot blasting

nick69

I dont think Shotblasting would be clean enough. Chemical dip maybe

F Body

OK they did look like this :

After a serious sandblasting session they now look like this :

Still having trouble finding a Zinc Plater anywhere nearby

Have found a local company that does hard black chrome plating, apparently they use it on oil rig stuff

Either way when these are finished they are set to become table centre pieces until they get fitted to the Z28

art b

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

F Body

Quoting: 55starchief
Hey martyn i forgot about frosts having electroplating kits

Used to have one of there Chrome plating kits, worked OK on small nuts & bolts but gave a poor finish on anything much bigger

Found a place in Arlesy ( the south side of Hitchin ) called Vehicle & General Platers which sounds promising

I'll give them a ring on Monday.

F Body

Quoting: F Body
Found a place in Arlesy ( the south side of Hitchin ) called Vehicle & General Platers which sounds promising  

I'll give them a ring on Monday.

They quoted £30 but don't do the passivating finish anymore, so the finish would be rather dull

Found another place in Stotfold and they do zinc plating with a range of passivating finishes, minimum charge is £45 + vat

F Body

Found another place in Stotfold and they do zinc plating with a range of passivating finishes, minimum charge is £45 + vat

Well I have to go with the shinest option

F Body

Dropped them at the platers this morning, should be ready by Saturday

Roadkill

I'd ask for pictures, but no doubt we'll see some.

art b

probably pics of the platers too
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

EDGE

when you pick them up any chance you could ask them if they can clean and chrome a 4.3 v6 block.... or post the number and I'll give them a shout

F Body

Quoting: EDGE
or post the number and I'll give them a shout

Stotfold Plating Co Ltd
Taylors Rd
Stotfold
Hitchin
SG5 4AX

Tel : 01462 - 732158

F Body

should be ready by Saturday

Just rung the Platers and there done, arranged to pick them up Saturday morning.

They asked " How do you want to pay ? "  ( quote was £45 + vat )

I said " Any discount for cash ? "

£30  = RESULT

Titsy

Stotfold Plating Co Ltd
Taylors Rd
Stotfold
Hitchin
SG5 4AX

Tel : 01462 - 732158

I said " Any discount for cash ? "