Main Menu

Cunning Bus

Started by Cunning Plan, August 11, 2008, 03:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

Cunning Plan

The bus is back!

I managed to give the bus a quick blow over myself before it left Jason's workshop (he was kind enough to let me use a corner for a day), it is now VW Savannah Beige, but flat, without gloss. I think it looks great - kind of classic, yet 'rod.

Dubs and Classics have done a great job fabricating the old rubbish areas.

Proper indicator mounts at last  8)

Looking real nice and straight now. Slightly shiny too  :mrgreen:

Now for the important parts, the chassis - amazing job done here by Dubs and Classics.

Excited to start the rebuild properly now I have a blank canvas.

Big thanks to Jason though, even though he was so busy, he agreed to work on my bus in-between his other projects and I am real happy with the result. The chassis is now one of the best bits to look at on the bus and I shouldn't have to worry too much about going through puddles as that's a Schultz mixed layer of protection on there  8)
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Rob

FUBAR

Looks great, your Bus is probably one of the most solid ones in the country right now

I like the colour, i think. I know where you're coming from with it, but I like it because I think it will look good when all the shiny fix 'n' fits are back on the van, at the moment just on a naked bodyshell it does look a bit plain.

Look forward to seeing it one day
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Titsy

Jo

Cunning Plan

Thanks all

Good support from yank lovers gives me the motivation to carry on with the project

Andy

Great work mate, looks like it'll be a great ride once you get it all done!

Are you properly documenting this off of here or is this your van diary?

- From a Mondeo Lover.

Cunning Plan

Quoting: Andy
Are you properly documenting this off of here or is this your van diary?

What do you mean? Yes to both?

- From a Mondeo Lover.

Kinky! :whip:

Incursus

Andy

Quoting: Cunning Plan
What do you mean? Yes to both?  

Well i mean like are you doing a write up off of the forums as you go or is this and that Bay place where :mrgreen: lives the only place where you're documenting it? You know, like F Body has done with his 'maro... just a physical thing that you could show to a CP Jnr one day.

F Body

You know, like F Body has done with his 'maro...

If Carlsberg made Camaro's

Probably one of the best vehicle history files in the world :

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/fbody007/Camaro%20Z28%20History/?albumview=slideshow\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/fbody007/Camaro%20Z28%20History/?albumview=slideshow

Cunning Plan

Well i mean like are you doing a write up off of the forums as you go or is this and that Bay place where :mrgreen: lives the only place where you're documenting it? You know, like F Body has done with his 'maro... just a physical thing that you could show to a CP Jnr one day.

Yah, I will print it out too as part of the documentation..

Cunning Plan

Cheers gninnam  :D

I've had a bit of a break from the bus as I have been concentrating on other things, but recently I have been putting together a speadsheet to plan out how to put everything back together properly and organise what's left to buy.

I also forgot to take some broken bolts out of one of the side-covers. As I tried to extract the bolt, it damaged the fresh paint  

Re-tapping the captive nut didn't work, so I ground off the nut ends to weld on a new nut and fix with fresh stainless bolts.

I finished the dash-top though. All ready to go in when I complete the dash area.

All new stainless screws from Volksbolts.  8)  Something very satisfying putting together new, fresh parts  :mrgreen:

Roadkill

Is that a big Jug of Mr Green on the window cill ?

Andy

Quoting: CP
Cheers gninnam :D

Who?

Nice one dude! Summer 2012 completion then?

Cunning Plan

Quoting: Roadkill
Is that a big Jug of Mr Green on the window cill ?

I mixed up too much screenwash and still haven't used it all up

Who?

Ah, me being lazy typing the reply on EarlyBay, then Cut and Pasting..

Nice one dude! Summer 2012 completion then?

I really need to get on with it, but work and money are getting in the way

Andy

Just loaded this thread up on my comp and seen the pics...

10k rpm gauge, ambitious.

Cunning Plan

10k rpm gauge, ambitious.

What, with my flat-4 aircooled? Naw

I think it would be doing well to get anywhere near 4k, but I bought the gauge to be future-proof and as it has a programmable shift-light.

So with the current engine, I would set the light up at 3200 or something, to stop the MOT guys over-revving it. However, when I can build a better stroker engine, it should be able to get 6/6.5k - so again, I wouldn't want to have to buy another gauge.

Cunning Plan

Most of the work over xmas was preparation work ready to start the rebuild.

Dash

The other-side of the welded dash was cleaned up and given a layer of POR15, ready to go in when the loom's done.

Rear Hatch

POR15 paint down ready to give that extra protection against standing water. It looks tidy as the rubber seal sits on top of it.

New stainless fixings  8)

New seal nicely in.

Fuel Filler Cap

Took this section apart to clean up properly and put protection paint down.

I also sourced a new filler pipe and clips from Demon Tweeks as the one on VW Heritage is wrong!

Deck Lid
Did some straightening out of the metal lip ready to accept the rubber seal, then put down protection paint again.

Headlining
Started pealing back the old headlining so I can put some protection paint around the window seal areas. Plus I need this down anyway ready to install a new one. I might POR15 the whole inside roof depending on condition. Then build up sound proofing / headlining

Front Screen and Clip
Following on from the above. I also put as much P15 as I could over the inside-lower clip area. I imagine condensation will like to pool there.

Front screen surround done.

Rear Bumper Irons and Spot Light Brackets
Cleaned up some South African rear bumper irons and coated in a couple of layers of P15 along with some spot-light brackets.

Side Cover
O/S side cover, straightened up the locating metal lip and again applied protection paint down on inside of covers and around shell location, new fixings and welded captive nuts.

art b

lookin good cp...

''now rust ya bastid''....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

ianjpage

Cunning Plan

Cheers guys

Rack goes on!

A little early for the rack - sure, but I wanted it off the floor before it got damaged, plus I can actually use it as storage! I also need a bit of motivation out in the garage in the cold winter nights  :|

Also started cleaning up the rear-hatch mechanism.

Incursus

Cunning Plan

Parts arrival!

Assorted fresh parts along with brand new front opening quarter lights

All genuine, although stamped made in Brazil, so I will have to watch how they do against the English weather.

New glass too, rear screen and both cab door drop-glass.