Author Topic: Cunning Bus  (Read 28338 times)

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Re: Cunning Bus
« Reply #425 on: March 29, 2015, 05:36:27 pm »
Much better :up:

Roadkill

« Reply #426 on: April 08, 2015, 09:12:53 am »
Yeah, much, much better. :pimp:

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 22, 2015, 06:27:30 pm »
Update:

Started to get the front axle organised and make a list of parts and tasks.

Labelled all of the various tubes to make installation a bit easier.

Whilst I was there, I installed a new accelerator cable that I have had on the shelf for a while after filling the tube with loads of Lithium grease to help the cable slip in (teeheehee) and protect it. Although, I was not happy that the end of the cable tube was quite open and sat in a position on the chassis that seemed like it could let dirt and water in. So I extended the tube with some rubber fuel hose to provide more protection.
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Roadkill

« Reply #428 on: April 23, 2015, 08:18:11 am »
It looks like your hose has ejaculated some white creamy stuff under there . . . . <snort, snort>

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 23, 2015, 08:22:08 am »
It almost dripped in my mouth......

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 26, 2015, 07:13:00 pm »
Managed to progress with some projects on the bus last week, but I have only just had a chance to upload the pictures and update this thread.

The first job was to mock-up the Handbrake mechanism. Whilst I was there, it seemed a shame to leave the gear-stick out of the fun, so I mocked that up as well!   :cowboy:

The cables look like they will be too short by around 30mm, for some reason. I have checked a few times and they are routed correctly and they cannot be the wrong cables, Later Bay ones for example, as those cables are much shorter as they finish under the cab area and then attach to a load divider bar. These cables get all the way to almost where they should be, but I doubt they will reach the handbrake fixing points. The brake-drum shoes are not tight at all, loose in-fact!.

I think I will extend the threaded bar.   :chiny:

Whilst I was at it, testing the multi-tasking skills, we removed, dismantled, dried, cleaned, resealed and reinstalled a 5-Series headlight in an attempt to stop condensation.

The next task was to grind off part of the old metal heater-tube ducting. There are a few reasons for this, firstly, it is old and metal, the metal attracts condensation and rust etc. Secondly, it opens up some chassis space near the front beam. Lastly, it is a slight / minuet weight saving. The plan is to run a separate Eberspacher-type heater further back on the chassis, then use plastic, flexible piping to move the heat and airflow forward, connecting onto the bottom of the Totem-pole in the cab, then distributed either on to the screen or back into the rest of the bus.

Tools ready.

Complete.

Space! Notice the lower half of the cab Totem-pole remains. This will get cleaned up and temporally blocked, ready for the new plastic tubing in the future.

Talking of the Totem-pole, here is the lower fixing which was slightly bent at the back for some reason.

So some gentle tapping massaged it back into a circle shape.

Project Progress:
[0%] Wiring Loom diagram. (I really need to start finding some time to begin planning this).
[0%] Wiring Loom component purchase. (Waiting on above)
[0%] Wiring Loom fabricate. (Waiting on above)
[0%] Paint rear drums.
[0%] Fit rear drums.
[0%] Plan and purchase complete Hydraulic braking system.
[0%] Fit Complete Hydraulic braking system.
[100% Complete] Fit Accelerator Cable.
[0%] Accelerator Peddle Components. (Going to look at Buttys Bits for this as I have read good things about his conversion kit).
[0%] Rear Windows Tints.
[0%] Rear Windows Install.
[5%] Revise Front Axle / Brake Drums / Track-Rods / Re Torque all.
[10%] Handbrake Mechanism.
[5%] Chassis Tidy (Annoying one, which delays progress. There are some areas of the chassis (more than I was expecting) which could do with tidying / sealing. Some of the joins are not as close / tidy as they should be, which I think will become a water trap.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 30, 2015, 06:21:53 pm »
Handbrake

After removing any traces of rust from the Handbrake leaver, I repainted it, then sealed the back with silicone sealant, whilst leaving a small section open to allow and condensation to drain. I decided to do this as the bottom quarter of the leaver is exposed to the road and will accumulate water and dirt, leading to more rust. It just seemed logical to seal it up.

All dry, ready to be installed.

Installed on a new pivot pin with new clips and fresh grease.

Moves smoothly.

Engine Bay / Deck Lid Repair

I was about to install the deck-lid rubber when I noticed that the lip which holds the rubber was bent.

So, I gently tapped it back into shape using an Allen-key as a mould, which, seemed to work well.

However, the tapping cracked some of the protection paint, therefore I had to key and degrease it ready for another top-coat.

Engine Bay / Deck Lid Rubber Seal

This rubber seal came with the bus when I bought it. It was new and in a bag with 'Engine Lid Seal '68-'70' on the label, so I assume it is the correct one. However, the seal was one complete piece, which meant that the removable valance would pull the whole seal with it when it was removed for access to the engine. I decided to cut the seal at an angle and install the seal as a two piece, one on the Engine Bay surround and one on the valance.

The angle of the cuts should mean that the seal joins and seals when the Deck-lid is closed.

Project Progress:
[3%] Wiring Loom diagram.
[0%] Wiring Loom component purchase. (Waiting on above)
[0%] Wiring Loom fabricate. (Waiting on above)
[0%] Paint rear drums.
[0%] Fit rear drums.
[0%] Plan and purchase complete Hydraulic braking system.
[0%] Fit Complete Hydraulic braking system.
[0%] Accelerator Peddle Components. (Going to look at Buttys Bits for this as I have read good things about his conversion kit).
[0%] Rear Windows Tints.
[0%] Rear Windows Install.
[5%] Revise Front Axle / Brake Drums / Track-Rods / Re Torque all.
[70%] Handbrake Mechanism.
[5%] Chassis Tidy (Annoying one, which delays progress. There are some areas of the chassis (more than I was expecting) which could do with tidying / sealing. Some of the joins are not as close / tidy as they should be, which I think will become a water trap.
[80%] Fit Deck-Lid / Engine hatch seal

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 31, 2015, 11:37:03 am »
For anyone whos interested, heres my bus and some progress on the project, its slow at the moment as the bus keeps breaking itself and cash is getting tight

You cant beat coco-pops gaskets

Owned it for a few weeks now, have an issue with stalling that needs sorting (not going to build up a new engine just yet) rebuilt the carb and tuned it a few times but still doesnt want to know

I also have to rebuild the front beam as the previous owner decided to bodge it to get it so low...    So the ride is shockingly bad..  So a new weedeater beam from Creative Engineering and some decent shocks..  <a href=\"http://www.creative-engineering.com/cgi-bin/shop/web_store.cgi?page=beams.html&cart_id=2688_887\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.creative-engineering.com/cgi-bin/shop/web_store.cgi?page=beams.html&cart_id=2688_887</a>

But while im at it, I bought some brake discs from a '71 bay to replace my drums which are pants..

7 years ago.... :crazy01:
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 01, 2015, 07:29:42 am »
7 years ago....

I know.. I know.

:rasp: :sad2:

It was super crusty though, I am still finding parts to repair, as you can read above  :nono2:

You know what would help? Your nasty old, crappy aircooled 1600 engine now that you have the super powerful and reliable Subaru engine to replace it with.  :pokey: :wink: