Author Topic: Announcing - Project Garage Mk II - The uber extension !!!  (Read 28081 times)

Roadkill

Re: Announcing - Project Garage Mk II - The uber extension !!!
« Reply #450 on: July 14, 2015, 10:46:42 am »
I did make a very very reasonable offer to buy the garage next door but he was having none of it.   ???

It's not a brewery extension (although that would be cool) - it's far less interesting than that . . . .

Currently I have the worktop on that back wall which has three cupboards in it (1000mm unit under the sink for jack and stands, 400mm unit currently empty and a 300mm unit which houes my P.C) . . . the sink and taps are set into the worktop and there's a twin-gang socket in the worktop too.

Since the "great flood" I've kept the isolator valves to the sink predominantly closed . . . meaning, if you have grubby hands, it's easier just to wash them in the kitchen than faff about getting a screw-driver, opening up the valves and cleaning them in the garage . . . as such, the sink and taps haven't really been used in the last couple of years.
Also, with the additional space the sheds have given me, keeping my array of junk outside means it's better organised so the cupboards are also generally unused.

So.  The plan.  Briefly.

In the adjacent room (the conservatory I built in 2011) is a worktop and cupboard unit I built over a washing machine and tumble dryer (which were moved out there to free-up space in the kitchen in late 2011) . . . We never used the conservatory much in the beginning (usual issues - too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer) but had blinds installed a while back that makes it much more pleasant now . . . meaning that the worktop/cupboard/washing machine etc . .  now bug me as they eat up room in the conservatory (which we now use daily***).

With the obvious space in the garage currently wasted (and plumbing already in place) it makes perfect sense to move the washing machine and tumble dryer into the garage (while totally rebuilding and replacing the old, water-damaged units), removing the redundant sink, replace the worktop (with something a little more pimp) and actually using the space again.
The knock-on effect is that the conservatory will be totally open and provide a big, usable space (for various uses), while not - if I'm honest - costing me any real space in the garage.

The *** bit :

The conservatory itself is currently in the middle of being re-purposed itself . . . I spent much of last winter testing costs (using a smart meter) to heat the area.  It was costing around 24p / hour to heat it with an electric heater, but only 2p / hour to heat it by opening up the doors and allowing the central heating (from inside the main house) to heat the room, plus the central heating was better at providing an even heat.

So, this year I've increased the insulation to the conservatory more, and installed 2 radiators that will be connected to the main system later this year. 

Hopefully, if all goes to plan (Hahaha), this winter we should see the conservatory open to the house at all times, have more space as a whole and see a considerable reduction in the heating bills - even in deepest winter !!

And, and . . . . The conservatory will mark the start of a house-wide refurbishment (nothing major, just a refresh but it's much needed - IMO).

Ta-dah !!!!

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:50:09 am by Roadkill »

Roadkill

« Reply #451 on: September 02, 2015, 02:01:48 pm »
Wow, really need to update this !

Roadkill

« Reply #452 on: October 24, 2015, 05:27:49 pm »
Forgot about this one last night . . .

So.

First job was to strip-out the existing set-up.

Re-do the plumbing for the old sink to suit a washing machine (i.e hot/cold/waste).

Install the electrics

Then start building the new set-up . . .

Computer cupboard got a bit more capacity and to aid cooling a 200mm fan was fitted direct to the side (works lovely !)

Bit more building . . .

Fan in action

This project is now complete - just need to take the final pictures !!

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 26, 2015, 09:04:11 am »
All looks to the usual high RK standard :secure:
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Roadkill

« Reply #454 on: May 12, 2016, 10:25:30 am »
Damn, give myself a bump on this one - all done - will get pics.  :tongue:

Roadkill

« Reply #455 on: July 12, 2016, 11:00:00 am »
Spent some time clearing the garage recently (the Caddy's out so I can - eventually - work on the Camaro's hood).

One thing that became quickly apparent is that I had a stack of aluminium chequer plate that I had laser-cut last year but hadn't fitted.  The point of it was to cover the voids and damage left by reducing the floor height back to the original.

More on that later . . . .

I'd had two plates made for the doors that lead through to the "office" but never posted any pics . . . these were fitted last year.

Before -

After -

I started fitting the lower plates on Sunday and did a bit more last night before running out of screws (plus it got pretty late).

Here's where it is at the mo -

At this stage I realise I haven't updated the progress at the other end, either . . .

:chiny:

I need more pics.

Where's CP ?

:pass:

Roadkill

« Reply #456 on: July 14, 2016, 09:38:24 am »
Got the last of the chequer plate fitted on Tuesday night and finished the gaps and joins with a nice thick bead of silicone (the theory is that I can now scrub the floor / hose-out the garage if needed).

After the extensive dust created during the concrete slab job last year, the plan is to re-paint the walls and ceiling to freshen things up in there - but that's for later.

I'm calling this mini-project done.  :up:

And who says I never finish a project ?  :smirk:

I finished installing the units and worktop in the "other" end last year, then gave it a full re-paint early this year.  After that I had the new flooring put down (to match that in the conservatory / back of the house).

The appliances went in and since then the room has gone from one that I occasionally used but was generally shut-off from the rest of the house to a room that's used daily by all members of the household.

But - as always - there were some jobs left to do . . . . .

After the extensive re-fit, the window frame needed repairs and a repaint (glossing !!!!!!) so naturally got left in favour of other jobs.

I finished the painting on Tuesday, cleaned and re-sealed the window/frame yesterday and finished the cutting in this morning.

Ta-dah !

Another project all done !