Author Topic: 50 Years on . . .  (Read 6116 times)

Roadkill

50 Years on . . .
« on: February 04, 2009, 11:25:19 pm »
I was reminded tonight that it's been (just over) 50 years since Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and The Big Bopper died in a plane crash in Clear Lake, Iowa.

While Richie Valens and The Big Bopper were relative newbies at the time Holly was a pioneer of his day and inspired many to follow - Dylan, the Stones and the Beatles to name a few . . .

I was lucky enough to find myself passing through Clear Lake in June last year (Power Tour FTW!) so we took the detour into the "sticks" to find the crash site.

1/2 mile of walking through a partially flooded corn field later I stumbled (literally) apon the shrine marking the crash site.

It was a weird day for me.

I'm a big fan of Rock n Roll and Rockabilly, and decided that it was worth a few minutes of my time to write this.

Holly had a major hand in changing the face of popular music in the late 50's . . . . he died aged 22.

Respect.

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
50 Years on . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 11:46:14 pm »
Quoting: Roadkill
I was lucky enough to find myself passing through Clear Lake in June last year (Power Tour FTW!) so we took the detour into the "sticks" to find the crash site.

1/2 mile of walking through a partially flooded corn field later I stumbled (literally) apon the shrine marking the crash site.

It took some finding that... Technology for the win...

Roadkill

50 Years on . . .
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:48:53 pm »
Yup, bit of detective work - finding that telephone pole, then finding those screws not holding the little sign in place !

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
50 Years on . . .
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 11:57:33 pm »
wow what a coincidence i was reading the history of the crash and the shrine that was errected, and saw it on wiki last nite....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_holly
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
50 Years on . . .
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 11:59:43 pm »
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
50 Years on . . .
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 08:12:26 am »
Quoting: Roadkill
he died aged 22.

damn, he was my age

Roadkill

50 Years on . . .
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 08:40:59 am »
Quoting: art b
which led me onto this

Jay, who lives in Katy, never met his father in life - but saw him for the first time at his exhumation.

Well preserved or not I wouldn't fancy seeing my Dad for the first time after he's been dead for 49 years !

I read that after the crash J.P was found 40-feet away from the crash site leading some to suggest that he'd survived and struggled to go for help . . . . after being dug up the autopsy showed nearly every bone in his body was broken and, without doubt, he would've died on impact.

Flip Martian

• Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipmartian
50 Years on . . .
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 09:28:59 am »
Had no idea the BB had been exhumed. I'm a huge Buddy Holly fan - grew up listening to my Dad's vinyl LPs and have just about every recording released now.

If I ever get over to America, visiting the Surf Ballroom and the crash site are on the list of places to go. The guy was a genius.