Author Topic: 3 days later I'm back !  (Read 4695 times)

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 11:35:23 am »
Quoting: EDGE
Mac stuff is more expensive, but I think that it's worth the money,....

If you have the money in the first place

IMHO i'd never buy a PC secondhand unless it was cheap enough to be throw away ( like my current laptop @ £30 ).
You just don't know what's been loaded/downloaded onto it and what conflicts it may have with the programs you install

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 12:16:22 pm »
Quoting: F Body
IMHO i'd never buy a PC secondhand unless it was cheap enough to be throw away ( like my current laptop @ £30 ).
You just don't know what's been loaded/downloaded onto it and what conflicts it may have with the programs you install

damn, whenever ive bought a second hand pc/laptop or even a display one from a shop the first thing i do is wipe the bastid COMPLETELY and then lowlevel format the hd.  THat way youre sure that the malware and viruses that will undoubtedly be on the heathen windows box will be gone.... usualy....

then reload windows etc so its all fresh...

are you saying that you bought a second hand lappy and are now using it as it is

ya see... THIS is the reason why virus writers are getting lazy... all they need to do now is put a flashing banner at the top on the screen saying..

"hey....you.... do YOU want a flashing Cristmas tree screen saver ????  FOR FREE?  click here and download the virus...er... i mean.... program ...."

sometimes.... i dispair.......

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 12:21:21 pm »
"hey....you.... do YOU want a flashing Cristmas tree screen saver ???? FOR FREE? click here and download the virus...er... i mean.... program ....

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 02:32:12 pm »
yeah, but you can have a new Kia for 5k or a 3 year old jag for 6k.....

Good comparison

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2009, 11:25:57 am »
Quoting: F Body
If computers were really clever they'd sort all this crap out by themselves and I've lost all my favorites

they do, you just bought the wrong computer..

i dont think i've ever spoken to a single person who has switched to a mac thats ever regretted the decision.

my mac mini was £399 from the apple store in MK, so would probably be worth £200 now - you should easily find one used for that much.

anyone that naysays a mac, that doesn't use a computer for gaming is either biased (i.e. works for microshite) or ignorant, as its undeniably a far superior computer for home use in every way.

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2009, 03:07:27 pm »
i will never buy a pc again ever

am thinking about getting another mac

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2009, 08:23:06 pm »
Got my Snow Leopard today! Worth £25 for the speed upgrade alone.

Martyn, save some cash, seriously, You will NEVER regret the spend out. I am sure there is something in that garage of yours worth £300 that you seriously won't use as much as you do the computer

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2009, 09:47:28 pm »
Quoting: Gator

i will never buy a pc again ever

am thinking about getting another mac

I run a hackintosh Quad-Core uber system with Leopard 10.5.6 on my PC... The software is amazing and Apple have won themselves another customer - the next rig I buy will just be a Mac Pro Tower.. Hackintosh is good and all, but the setting up etc etc

Posting this from my gf's Mac Book Pro..


1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2009, 09:37:19 am »
Quoting: Fieldy
I am sure there is something camaro shaped in that garage of yours worth £300 that you seriously won't use as much as you do the computer

yea do as ya told marti.... ..

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2009, 12:11:05 pm »
wow, that smiley group looks crazy together......

And, changing my words Art.... That camaro is worth more than £300, i'd give you at least £800 for it....

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2009, 12:22:04 pm »
I'm currently running Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro and it's flying.

I decided to do a full wipe and install as it hasn't had one since the original Leopard OS came out.

I've had several GB's of much needed disk space back, it boots, sleeps and wakes from sleep way quicker.  The Finder seem *much* snappier (about time Apple overhauled that).

The text selection out of PDF files has already been useful and the new quicktime is handy for editing and converting stuff quickly (specifically the footage off my little HD camcorder).

Very pleased.  A 30% average increase in performance for £25 is the cheapest performance upgrade ever, much better value than new hardware.

Martyn:  Your problems sound software based, so there's no point in buying a new Windows machine, it comes with the same software after all.   New hardware (ie new laptop) won't fix your problems.  It's all about the config of what you've got.

On a side note, In the last 3 years you've spent the same on these cheapo laptops as buying a Mac.  The combined cost of those 3(?) machines would be the same as a refurb Mac direct from Apple and it would still be working and valuable today.  As you've not saved any money (frankly it's cost you more) and only had headaches I really don't understand why you're looking at spending yet another two or three hundred pounds on another piece of no name junk running the same dodgy software that you don't know how to fix.  

I'm writing this on my 3 year old MacBook Pro which I've had while you've bought about 3 machines. Granted mine was a high end machine when ?I bought it so big $$$, but it's still worth £700ish today according to ebay prices...  

I just don't understand your logic, it has cost you the same (or more if you account for resale value), has caused you nothing but hassle, yet you keep doing it?

I'm not saying go and buy a Mac (I don't care what you do as it doesn't impact me), I'm just curious as to how you think buying yet another cheap PC running the same software is going to solve your problem.  That's what I don't understand.  I have to respect PC owners eternal optimism that a new machine is somehow going to solve their woes.  It's admirable.

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2009, 11:00:01 pm »
Quoting: HardRockCamaro
I really don't understand why you're looking at spending yet another two or three hundred pounds on another piece of no name junk running the same dodgy software that you don't know how to fix.

Not sure where you gleaned this from, Martyn never said he was buying anything at all...

I've been using the same PC with the same install of windows at work for the las 3 1/2 years with no issues what so ever... A lot of the problems that people have with windows based machines are self inflicted or as a result of poorly written third party software. People just aren't web-wise and so download stuff they really should leave well alone, or they install random programs that screw stuff up... Because there are alot more windows based machines in the world, there are alot more people writing programs that are not properly tested. When people install this crap they cause problems and then blame the operating system... Likewise, there are alot more viruses being written for windows based machines because it is a larger target audience...

Martyn, The FREE long term fix for your problems is to switch to Linux and run Ubuntu... It will do everything you require with the added bonus that it's not a big target for virus writters. Plus, any freeware that the f-body kids might download isn't going to run, so it can't get screwed up...

Flip Martian

• Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipmartian
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 05:18:24 am »
Quoting: Titsy
I've been using the same PC with the same install of windows at work for the las 3 1/2 years with no issues what so ever... A lot of the problems that people have with windows based machines are self inflicted or as a result of poorly written third party software. People just aren't web-wise and so download stuff they really should leave well alone, or they install random programs that screw stuff up... Because there are alot more windows based machines in the world, there are alot more people writing programs that are not properly tested. When people install this crap they cause problems and then blame the operating system... Likewise, there are alot more viruses being written for windows based machines because it is a larger target audience...

Absolutely...

I bought this Acer laptop about 4 years ago or more now - never had to reinstall windows (xp) or anything. It was a "performance" jobbie and cost 1200 quid back then so probably had higher quality components in it than the cheapie ones, which has probably helped - buy cheap computers and you get cheap innards = less reliability. Sometimes thought about a macbook but this lappy does everything I need and has been very reliable - and I do use it a lot. I like XP, don't like Vista - maybe when this dies a death that'll be the time to get a macbook. Dunno. Maybe Windows 7 will be wonderful...

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2009, 07:49:12 am »
thats the difference though you can buy a windows pc and have it running perfectly fine if you are prepared to become an amateur web/it technician to make the thing work, you wouldnt want to become TV repairman and have to rebuild your set  once a week just so you can watch top gear ! that wouldnt be acceptable in any other walk of life apart from PC computing apparently

if you cant download and install software for fear of it messing your computer up frankly whats the point of having it then

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 08:35:53 am »
Couldn't agree more.

I don't want to build my computer any more than I want to build my washing machine.  

And if Martyn can't figure out Windows he's not going to cope with Linux.

Microsoft Windows needs to be taken outside and shot.
Microsoft haven;t got it close to right in almost 15 years, it's ridiculous.
 It's only the geeks in IT dept who want to keep their jobs that insist on keeping it around.
Microsoft was originally an applications company, not an OS company.  They should stick to that as their apps aren't anywhere near as bad as their OS.

<disclosure>
I used to build my own PC's and I never had any trouble with them either but the I've been an IT geek for 20 years, but you shouldn't have to be one to have a proper working system in this day and age.
</disclosure>

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2009, 09:20:38 am »
id rather drive a chevy... than push a ford.....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2009, 09:24:56 am »
MKB Mac Vs PC threads rule

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2009, 09:36:40 am »
I use DOS.

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2009, 09:45:58 am »
DOS was the last stable OS Microsoft ever released.

(and technically they didn't write that, they bought it for $50,000 from a company called Seattle Computer Products who wrote it by, erm, ripping off CPM which was the standard OS of the day).

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2009, 09:47:21 am »
Quoting: Gator
MKB Mac Vs PC threads rule

There's no vs in it.

It would be like comparing an Aston Marin to a kit car, you just don't bother doing it...

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2009, 10:19:58 am »
Yawn

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2009, 11:43:08 am »
heh heh

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2009, 01:11:30 pm »
Quoting: Titsy
Yawn

lol

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2009, 02:56:45 pm »
Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Martyn: Your problems sound software based, so there's no point in buying a new Windows machine, it comes with the same software after all. New hardware (ie new laptop) won't fix your problems. It's all about the children who use the PC

No point in doing anything, they'll only rollocks it up again

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
3 days later I'm back !
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2009, 05:21:18 pm »
They would'nt rolloks up a mac !