Author Topic: Chevrolet Camaro Iroc 350 (full write up)  (Read 3621 times)

CJ-IROCZ

• Ho
    • View Profile
Chevrolet Camaro Iroc 350 (full write up)
« on: October 24, 2008, 10:56:07 am »
Genuine L98 / B2L 350 5.7 Chevrolet Camaro Iroc

I’ve been considering selling my Camaro for the last 6 months but have not been able to bring myself to do it but unfortunately, due to other commitments, I now have no other choice.

As mentioned in the title it’s a 1987 Chevrolet Camaro Iroc with the genuine 350 TPI engine, not like many that are falsely advertised. The car is not mint but is a very good example of a genuine Iroc.

It has a very large option list (RPO codes) that boasts the following.

GW6 : AXLE REAR, 3.27 RATIO
G80 : AXLE POSITRACTION, LIMITED SLIP
FE2 : SUSPENSION SYSTEM, RIDE HANDLING
1SC : PACKAGE, OPTION 03

(I can supply a full list of the codes upon request.)

I’ve owned the car for 3 years and in that time have spent a large amount of time and money in getting her to the sort of condition I would be happy with. Obviously I would recommend viewing but I will do my best to give an accurate description of the cars different areas, I would welcome questions if you have any doubts over what I have written.

Exterior

Good all-round condition with only minor scratches and stone chips. The only issue I know of is that the drivers side rear arch had a small amount of bubbling when I brought it so I had a company repair the area, unfortunately they didn’t do an amazing job and there is still a very small amount of rust right at the bottom of the arch where the body kit is. Now is very small and hardly noticeable but its still worth mentioning. There are no other major dents, scratches or rust on the vehicle. The paintwork is good apart from typical fading that you get with the colour red.

The underside is very clean and has been wax oiled to prevent any corrosion, I’ll try and arrange a picture of the underside if possible. All stickers, body trim and badges are in very good condition as is all the glasswork.

Interior

The interior of this car is in superb condition and hardly looks used. The only slight defect is that I had a professional company sew in a patch on the drivers seat bolster to reinforce an area that was showing slight wear. The carpets are near perfect as are the seats, dashboard and trim.

If you have been looking for a Camaro you’d have probably notice that these cars suffer with headliners. This Iroc has a brand new Headliner, sun visors and sail panels that imported from the states last month, at great cost, so the whole of the interior looks great as you can see from the pictures. All electrics work although the rear hatch button is now used for something else, you’ll understand when you read the exhaust section.

The car has a Kenwood head unit that works fine but the speakers are shite and it would be worthwhile replacing them.

Engine

No problems here. The engine runs silky smooth and starts first time every time. If its been sitting for a while sometimes I get a small puff of smoke upon start up but it clears instantly and does not return. On idle the cars revs do sometimes seek very slightly however I had a garage check this out and he reported on problem at all, I have the receipt for this check up.

The engine has had a top head overhaul by Bob Harman performance about 1500 miles ago and I have carried out a few jobs like replacing the distributor, spark plus, HT leads, cap, rotor, air foil, air filters, oil, oil filter ect ect. All work has been taken place over the last 6 months and I have receipts for everything (I’ve probably forgotten loads of work also).

The Engine does not leak any fluid at all. It revs to 5500rpm perfectly and stays at a normal temperature even in heavy traffic; this is the dual fan model.

Transmission

Everything works perfectly due to a new TCI streetfighter 700R4 ( approx 200 miles old) with a 2200 rpm stall Bowtie Overdrives torque converter. It has also got a brand new GM transmission cable and a lager ally transmission sump to promote better cooling.

This is the transmission - http://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/371060/10002/-1

The difference is incredible with the new trans and TC. The shifts are firm and instant not like the old slow sloppy change of the original box. Again the transmission does not leak at all.

Exhaust

The WHOLE exhaust system was changed around 300 miles ago with the following.

-Hedman headers with felpro pro gaskets
-Hedman Y-pipe leading to a stainless section that integrates a electric cut-off valve that dumps the exhaust fumes straight from the headers with the flap is opened, this is what the rear hatch switch has been changed to.
-Hooker aero chamber cat back system.

Now I had this system installed so that I could drive around town with the electric flap closed which allows the gases through the cat back system which has a menacing deep growl or you can open the flap up at let all hell break lose, Its amazingly loud and sounds just like a NASCAR.

The only problem is that the headers do have a very slight leak, this tends to go hand in hand with fitting them though.

Wheels and Tyres.

The wheels are the genuine Iroc alloys that the car came with and were refurbished the beginning of this year so they are in very good condition. The tyres all have between ½ and ¼ of their tread left.

Brakes and suspension

All discs and pads are in very good condition and allows the car to stop as well as the factory set up allows, which isn’t amazing to be honest. The car does not pull at all upon braking.

The suspension seems fine although nothing has been changed since I have owned the car. MOT’s have not flagged any problems up though so I think everything is okay.

-----------------

I hope you can see that I have spent a huge amount of time and money on this car and whilst it’s not perfect, its still a very nice example of a car that’s becoming rarer by the month.

It is a 21 year old car so please don’t come expecting it to be A1. However I have been as honest as possible and If you think I have neglected anything please ask and I will endeavour to find out that information for you.

pics to follow

£3900

CJ-IROCZ

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 02:46:10 pm »
On ebay

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 04:03:39 pm »
good luck oh turnip loving one.....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 05:36:55 pm »
good luck with the sale mate

CJ-IROCZ

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 06:06:47 pm »
cheers guys. I've got a guy who seems realy interested looking at it tomorrow

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 06:18:46 pm »
wheres the ebay link mate

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 07:44:57 am »
its doing well for early days

CJ-IROCZ

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 09:30:33 am »
Yeah but you never know what idiot is bidding on it, half the bids are from my prick mates who are fecking around.

I've got a couple people viewing it so fingers crossed

CJ-IROCZ

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 07:06:06 pm »
Just been offered £2900

Thats not enough though is it ? ( looking for support as the money is tempting )

Roadkill

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 07:16:20 pm »
Quoting: CJ-IROCZ
Thats not enough though is it ?

No, I'd say at least £3400 . . .

CJ-IROCZ

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 07:22:25 pm »
Yeah your right, Just the offer of wedge is tempting but I know its worth more than 2900 even in the current climate.

Rocky

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 07:37:34 pm »
I would say £3200 should be your lowest.

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 07:44:54 pm »
In the current climate, and time of year, I'd want at least £3,200.

CJ-IROCZ

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 08:19:56 pm »
Thanks guys, you've given me some clarity

I've told him no

CJ-IROCZ

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 04:21:23 pm »
He's come up to £3000

My thinking is that if he's that desperate then surely he can find another £200

Roadkill

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 05:53:21 pm »
I agree.  Keep milking.

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 06:35:35 pm »
Quoting: CJ-IROCZ
My thinking is that if he's that desperate then surely he can find another £200

Indeed he's on the hook

Rocky

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 08:46:25 pm »
He will def go up a bit more just say you have had alot of offers but if he bumps the price a little more you will sell for a quick sale.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 01:24:20 pm »
I'd have thought it was worth a bit more than that... I dunno though I'm not very good at this kind of thing.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

CJ-IROCZ

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 01:30:40 pm »
I think its because of the time of year / economy bullshit

Your right though £3200 doesn't seem alot for a nice 5.7 Iroc, hey ho

Rocky

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 06:39:10 pm »
Its a bad time to sell. Doesnt help that there are a few to pick from, I wouldnt have got my yellow one so cheap if the market was good.

CJ-IROCZ

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 06:47:07 pm »
I dont seem to see many 5.7's though

But then maybe people are not that bothered about the engine size

Rocky

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 06:50:40 pm »
There are 5 for sale at the moment including yours

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 06:55:04 pm »
It's a bad time of year anyway, running up to xmas.

But economy concerns, the credit crunch and high fuel prices (ok, receeding for now but that won't last) make it an especially bad time to sell.

I wanted to sell my IROC this year but decided against it due to the economy.  A couple of years ago I'd have said you could have added up to a grand to your price as it's a very tidy 5.7 as far as I know.

While a 5.7L is naturally more desirable, it's more important to buy on condition as putting stuff right costs money.