Roadkill's 1983 Chevy Z28 - (Work Starts on Page 5)

Started by Roadkill, October 18, 2005, 01:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianjpage

HardRockCamaro

Quoting: Roadkill
And so it was . . . . a quick clean up of the old clutch fork and we were ready . . . after about 10 minutes of faffing we were there :

Well that's just a big portion of awesome right there...

Gator

this is gonna be good right we will absolutely require lots of step by step pics good luck with it people

Roadkill

Successful day.

The start point :

Next job, remove bonnet, add rags around the engine bay and freshly painted bits and fit engine.

No issues, it went in without a hitch :

With Carb refitted . . . :

Next job - refit bonnet, tighten up all the mount bolts and check the 4th-Gen's radiator clearances (it fits fine) - then check potential air cleaner clearances :

There's not enough space for an air cleaner so I'm now on the look-out for an R.S style hood which I can fit a low cowl to.

Finally a shot from underneath :

Cheers to Ian, Titsy and Chris for assistance.

Roadkill

Next job is to fit the clutch slave cylinder, then fit the prop loop.

I'll probably also offer up the old propshaft but this is being replaced by a much tougher bit of kit from Spohn before it sees the road.

After that I'll start running the brake and fuel lines from the rear to the front while Titsy makes a start on the engine bay wiring loom.

The nosecone's gonna stay off for now to give me as much space around the car as possible.

Gator

ianjpage

t'was a very good day, lots achieved and (most of) it went without a hitch!!!

Gator

Roadkill

Quoting: Gator
how did the lift plate work out then

Perfect.

They don't recommend using it with the trans attached (which I did ) so I was careful not to put shear on the carb-studs by getting it into a steep angle.

I was hoping to slide the motor and trans in at a 35* angle but to avoid scratches and dinks that was increased to nearly 45* to clear the sump !

That said the lift plate didn't flinch.

I'd highly HIGHLY recommend one.  It made the whole experience simple and fast compared to ropes and slings that are always a P.I.T.A and get in the way.

I placed a cheap gasket between the lift plate and the manifold (to protect the manfold mating surface) and also made sure I used thick, heavy duty washers (2 of) under each nut on the studs.

The washers still deformed (from tightening the nuts I'll add) so it's obvious why it's important to use decent washers.

But, yeah, 10 out of 10 - I'll never use anything else for pulling a motor again unless it's an injection (and doesn't have the correct hole spacings) or the manifold has definate and obvious stud / hole / casting damage.

Go and buy one NOW - I'd recomend the ProForm one as it's got 4 positioning holes along the top (many others have 3) plus it's FULL seam welded BOTH sides of the vertical tab (others are only stitch welded - probably enough but I'm happier with a full-seam).

All that for $16 or so ! EDIT - $14.99

Here's where I got mine -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ENGINE-LIFT-PLATE-NEW-PROFORM-67457-VERY-HANDY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ220310184228QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ENGINE-LIFT-PLATE-NEW-PROFORM-67457-VERY-HANDY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ220310184228QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

Titsy

That looks way cool, but I don't think there is 3.5" there.... Also, I wouldn't be supprised if it interfeared with the comedy sized valve covers...

FUBAR

Quoting: sixpack2639
What about this....

That is exactly the thing I was trying to describe earlier today, I still doubt it would fit though.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

philoldsmobile

what about the moroso drop base air cleaners? they need very little clearance..

Gator

Quoting: Roadkill
Go and buy one NOW - I'd recomend the ProForm one as it's got 4 positioning holes along the top (many others have 3) plus it's FULL seam welded BOTH sides of the vertical tab (others are only stitch welded - probably enough but I'm happier with a full-seam).

All that for $16 or so ! EDIT - $14.99

Here's where I got mine -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ENGINE-LIFT-PLATE-NEW-PROFORM-67457-VERY-HANDY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ220310184228QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ENGINE-LIFT-PLATE-NEW-PROFORM-67457-VERY-HANDY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ220310184228QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

im gonna mate but i am still going to use the old cast intake to lift coz i would just kak myself and my new intake is just too expensive to risk

v8mad0

Roadkill

Quoting: Titsy
That looks way cool, but I don't think there is 3.5" there.... Also, I wouldn't be supprised if it interfeared with the comedy sized valve covers...

Exactly - it's nearly $300 and a bit of a risk if it doesn't fit - also the Edelbrock's not likely to remain on there for long . . . So I need to be giving myself as much space a possible.

im gonna mate but i am still going to use the old cast intake to lift coz i would just kak myself and my new intake is just too expensive to risk

Good on ya' - and furry muff - after seeing the new intake you've got I wouldn't risk it either.

Quoting: v8mad0
looking good

Cheers, matey - I'll be firing across an email to you soon regarding picking up something . . . . I just need to find a free day, first !

Gator

why not adapt the existing hood or do you want a stock look ?

Roadkill

why not adapt the existing hood or do you want a stock look ?

Weeeelll - The stock hood (a Z28-type with indents) is a rare factory fibreglass one so to cut that about would be silly.

Hence the plan to get a flat (non "vented") R.S style hood and cut that about.

I've been on ebay this afternoon, among other this, trying to find a cowl to bolt-on to said R.S hood and then adapt the hood below to fit the air cleaner through.

So far no joy - I haven't found anything that I feel would work.

Roadkill

Message sent, cheers Titsy, but would guess it would be the Z28 hood - not the R.S.

Rocky

Roadkill

Quoting: Rocky
Might have an RS hood coming in soon.

If it's going - let us know a price.

F Body

Quoting: Rob
...or this guy     Who needs slapping for writing all the text in massive size in different colours through the advert

I got a headache now